Full Professors H. F. Pysemsky and V. L. Lozynsky, prominent scientists and physicians, well-known in Kyiv and outside, were among those who founded the Clinical Institute for Advanced Training of Physicians, and the first heads of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
In 1935 the department was divided into halves. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology No 1 was headed by Full Professor H. F. Pysemsky, the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology No 2 was headed by Full Professor V. L. Lozynsky.
In 1959 Full Professor Fedir O. Peterburzky headed the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology No 2, and 15 years later Full Professor A. O. Davydenko became the head of the department.
In 1985 - 2006 the department was headed by Full Professor S. S. Leush. Then the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology No 2 was given name the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology No 1.
In 2006 - 2011 the department was headed by Full Professor O. M. Yuzko.
Since 2011 the department has been headed by Full Professor Oleg V. Golianovsky. Under his guidance there were activated the processes of the improvement of technologies and approaches to the continuous professional advanced training of physicians founded on the principles of evidence-based medicine, implemented technological innovations of surgery (argon plasma tissue coagulation), methods of organ-preserving surgical haemostasis and modernized the material and technical basis of the department.